Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Divergent By Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth




Category: MUST READ


Good Reads Book Description:


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.



One of My Favority Quotes:


"I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart of something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing behind my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine", he says, "Then I love you."



On to the Review:

This book owned my life for 24 hours.  I started reading Friday night at 9:38 pm and finished the book Saturday at 11:38 pm. I didn’t even realize that I was on the last page until I couldn’t turn the page anymore. 
 I get tired of using the words great, fantastic, and amazing, but this book was all of those words and more.  I haven’t pinpointed the exact reason that I love this book, but it has a great mix of suspense, action, and romance.  I was hooked from the first page.  I honestly enjoyed the entire book. I never once felt like a part of the book was dragging or wasn’t interesting
I really enjoyed the author’s writing style. Normally, it takes me just a bit to get used to the style when starting a new book. This was not the case with Divergent.  I fell right in step with Veronica Roth from the first page. She did a wonderful job at creating an image in your mind without overloading you with excessive details.   I knew that if something was described or even mentioned in Divergent, that I needed to remember it because it was coming back up soon.
Something I found interesting was the character descriptions between Four and Tris.  I feel like I got a pretty clear picture in my mind of Four. (See below). However, I never could picture Tris. No matter what, I couldn't conjure up an image of her in my mind. This wasn't due to my lack of imagination or any fault of Veronica Roth's. My theory is that is that way it was supossed to be.  Tris comes from an abnegation background (selfless) so she has been trained to never focus on herself. Since the book is from her point of view, we never get the details that you normally would from a character.  For instance, the character in another book might describe their hair, face, and clothes before leaving for work or when they look in the mirror. We never got that with Tris other than her stating she had plain blonde hair. Just a random thought I had...I actually thought it was quite clever of the author in keeping true to Tris' character.
This is who I had in mind for Four (Tobias). Thoughts?

This was a unique YA love story.  There was not an overwhelming passionate love affair between Tris and Four.  The love story develops along with the plot. We never lost focus of the main story line. The love story stayed true to their characters as well. Four is a quiet, reserved, but fiery instructor. Four didn’t become all clingy and girly when he realized he was attracted to her. He never once babied her because she was small, weak, or female. He pushes her to be stronger, mentally and physically.
"You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."
He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.
"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.
HIs dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."
"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"
"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake."

I was hesitant when beginning the book because of the hype surrounding this book.  I didn’t want to be let down. I just recently read The Hunger Games which many people compared this book to. The comparison begins and ends with the dystopian setting.  That is all.  I LOVED The Hunger Games. It was so creative and at times just insane (the books caused stress in my life while reading, lol)  However, Veronica Roth does a great job at creating a series set in dystopian Chicago where every citizen at 16 chooses a faction (what I compare to a district). The purpose is to devote your life to a positive quality: honesty, intelligence, selflessness, bravery, and peacefulness. Well, things don’t always work out the way they are planned. Ultimately, some people are just downright evil. Shit hits the fan from here…
I could say so much more about this book, but I won't. Just go read it! I definitely recommend this book after reading Twilight, The Hunger Games, or any book for that matter.  This is an amazing debut novel from Veronia Roth.  I can’t wait for the next book in the series to be released.
Exciting Note - I just heard that Summit Entertainment obtained the rights to Divergent and they have hired a screenwriter to adapt this novel to a movie! Woo Hoo! Can't wait!!!

Another Exciting Note - Just like 30 seconds I saw the 2nd installment in this series is entitled Insurgent!

3 comments:

  1. Who is this guy? I think that he would be a great Four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous. His name is Alex Pettyfer. He played in I am number four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love four he seems to be a great guy i think this guy would be perfect to play four

    ReplyDelete