Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Catching Fire


Catching Fire  (Book 2 of 3)
By: Suzanne Collins


Book Summary: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.

Thoughts, questions and ramblings:  Katniss and Peeta's relationship ends sourly in book one. And in Catching Fire, we pick right back off where we left off. Haymitch is still drunk, Peeta's still in love, and Katniss still has no clue who she can or can't trust. When I began reading the second installment to Suzanne Collins trilogy, I was not sure how they could possibly drag out the "Hunger Games" into two more books, especially when they were completed by book 1. Nonetheless, my worries of this being a book that was full of character development rather than plot were stricken immediately when I read about Peeta and Katniss returning to the arena. 


I must confide, the second trip to the Games lacked the shock factor given in book one (for obvious reasons - who could have imagined Tracker Jackets or Mutant Wolves?) but the action certainly managed to maintained the hype. For me, although there was not as many new and shocking creatures or situations, in book two, it certainly had me guessing "who's for who" throughout.  My main criticism of this book ended up being that although I was rooting for Peeta, I felt his character needed more masculinity. In book one you find that he is a natural when it comes to camouflage, and happens to be a strength of his, but you don't really get to see him flex his camo-creative muscles at all in book 2. This could have been his niche. Instead the author dwells on his decorating cakes (um...just not manly enough for me). That's neither here nor there, Peeta still has me rooting for him.


Unlike, some other reviews I have read, I didn't by any means think that Catching Fire was any sort of a let down to the original Hunger Games book. I thought it did a wonderful job of continuing a story that you know wasn't finished in book 1. Although, obviously it doesn't tie things up in this one (hence book 3) it certainly gives us the necessary additional insight to the many layers of the Capitol's vengeance, as well as development of relationships. I flew right through this one and immediately picked up Mockingjay. If you're looking for an easy read that will keep you on your toes, this fits the bill perfectly.

Now to movie stuff...

Like other Hunger Games fans out there, I have a distinctive impression that I feel the movie should have or live up to. Modern, with ultimate bad-ass vibe (hopefully not setting standards too high, since there's very rare occasions when the movies hold true to book form). Therefore, being a soundtrack LOVER, there are a few songs that I feel would fit this mold perfectly. Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to find them on my beloved playlist.com to share properly. Therefore, I have added a few from youtube, and hope you get the picture.

Both of these songs are by the band Birds of Tokyo, they have 'soundtrack-y' feel to them, and also the second (Armour for Liars) has an anti-governmental vibe which I feel would fit the movie perfectly. This version is not the version I own, and doesn't give quite the same hard-core feel, but it does include the lyrics which I feel are appropriate.

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment