Thursday, April 21, 2011

Outlander (Part 2)

 
Okay, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I just finished my re-read of Outlander (book 1). Since this is no small book it took me awhile to decide to pick it back up (Izzy is probably pounding her fist shaking her head because I have about 30 books to read to catch up on what's going on in the books she's already read.). That being said, I just couldn't stay away - I have re-read my Twilight series (and I'm sure I will continue to pick them up from time to time *duh*) but, my need of some Jamie and Claire action outweighed all logic. So, just gotta say... re-reading is sooooo much more interesting - and *cough, cough - steamy*! With these books yes, you have to use your imagination to create the scene - no movie to give you an idea where the author was going - but in some instances it is THAT that makes it much better. (Oh! and I need to mention...please don't let the slow start discourage you - I PROMISE - it's worth the time.)
During my first Outlander read - I stumbled upon a fellow blogger who's blog became my companion during my "all things Outlander read" (no exaggerations - if I wasn't reading - I was Internet searching about it). Carol @ MyOutlanderPurgatory.com. I strongly recommend her blog for several reasons.
  1. She gives you a chapter by chapter re-cap of her reading, feelings, and even funny predictions- giving all the info in a nice, neat, clever little package.
  2. She is one witty little lady - seriously...Laugh Out Loud funny.
  3. Although her opinions may not have ALWAYS been the same as mine, her feelings on certain things may open your eyes to another way to see a "situation". (However, most of the time they were spot on.)
  4. She has playlist for the book - nuf' said - and pretty good taste in her "soundtrack". (This really stuck with me since I am a true sucker for music and I LOVE soundtracks!
AND NOW....A few additional notes that I would like to mention about Outlander. Upon my reading, I was reminded of yet ANOTHER reason to love this book - Memorable quotes and passages! I'm going to share a few of my favorites from Book 1. 

~ "Does it bother you that I'm not virgin?" He hesitated before answering.
"Well, no," he said slowly, "so long as it doesna bother you that I am." He grinned at my drop-jawed expression, and backed toward the door.
"Reckon one of us should know what they're doing," he said. The door closed softly behind him; clearly the courtship was over." (Chapter 13) 

~"Are you scared of me?" He didn't look it. Perhaps he was nervous though...He looked into my eyes and smiled. 
"Aye, More scairt than you, I expect. That's why I'm holdin' your hands; to keep my own from shaking." (Chapter 15) - Simply precious!
 
~"I didna realize that ye did it face to face. I thought ye must do it the back way, like; like horses, ye know." (Chapter 15) - priceless.

~"I'll thank ye," said a cool, level voice, "to take your hands off my wife." (Chapter 21) 

~"...Keep to your bed, laddie, and, er. . . rest."
"Why is it," I demanded, looking after the crusty old horsemaster, "that everyone seems to assume we've no more on our minds than to get into bed with each other?"
"For one thing, we've been married less than a month," he observed. "For another --" He looked up and grinned, shaking his head. "I've told ye before, Sassenach. Everything ye think shows on your face." (Chapter 24) 

~"I mean to be sure you'll remember me while I'm gone." (Chapter 24) - Mmmmph!

~"...Because I wanted you." He turned from the window to face me." "More than I ever wanted anything in my life," he added softly.
I continued staring at him, dumbstruck. Whatever I had been expecting, it wasn't this, Seeing my openmouthed expression, he continued lightly. "When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I'd have no doubt. And I didn't. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, 'Jamie Fraiser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman.' " (Chapter 27)

~"My love," he whispered. "Oh, my love. I do want ye so."
"Not the same thing, is it?" I said. "Loving and wanting, I mean."
He laughed, a little huskily. "Damn close, Sassenach, for me, at least" (Chapter 27) 

~"Ye know," he observed letting go at last, "you've never said it."
"Neither have you."
"I have. The day after we came...."
"And I said that loving and wanting weren't necessarily the same thing," I countered.
"....I wanted ye from the first I saw ye -- but I loved ye when you wept in my arms and let me comfort you..."
"...You first"
"No, you."
...He leaned across the fence, reaching, and I stepped into his arms, feeling the heat of his body and the beat of his heart.
"I love you." (Chapter 31) LOVED the vision of this!
 
~"And if there was eternity, or even the idea of it, then perhaps Anselm was right; all things were possible. And all love? I wondered I had loved Frank; I still did. And I loved Jamie, more than my own life. But bound in the limits of time and flesh, I could not keep them both. Beyond, perhaps? Was there a place where time no longer existed, or where it stopped? A place where all things were possible. And none were necessary." (Chapter 39) - perhaps this sums up what Claire has been trying to figure out through the ENTIRE series? I thought it stated everything perfectly.

~"I meant it, Claire," he said quietly. "My life is yours. And yours to decide what we shall do, where we go next. To France, to Italy, even back to Scotland. My heart has been yours since first I saw ye, and you've held my soul and body between your two hands here, and kept them safe. We shall go as ye say." (Chapter 41) - deep sigh. 

***I'm certain I have forgotten several (since it is 12:30am) but feel free to remind me. I shall add to this when I stumble upon more and re-read again***

No comments:

Post a Comment