Saturday, April 16, 2011

Water For Elephants



Category: MUST READ, Robert Pattinson, Romance
Book Description by Borders
Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its own way of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell.

Water for Elephants…  I LOVE THIS BOOK.  I read the book in just two days and when I was done, I didn't want it to be over. I find that the books you love the most are the ones that are the hardest to talk about.
I had thought about buying this book so many times. To be honest, I had ulterior motives when beginning this book. I will let you in on a small secret.  I might have picked this book up shortly after hearing that Rob Pattinson was going to play Jacob Jankowski (don’t judge).  I knew I would want to see the movie since I am a fan of Mr. Pattinson.  So I bought the book and sat down to see what all the fuss was about.

Well, now I know. The book is great. The author does a great job of creating a beautiful world to let you get lost in.  The relationship between Marlena and Jacob is so sweet and believable. There is nothing over the top or desperate about their relationship. It is just real. Upon their first meeting, I was cheering for them. 
Jacob is an endearing character with a kind soul. Jacob’s journey has many twists and turns. Your heart breaks for him as he experiences life at its worst and you find yourself smiling when Jacob gets the happiness he deserves. The author also does a great job writing the secondary characters.  Each character is so unique....August, Camel, and Walter (Kinko). Sara Gruen is able to paint a vivid picture of the circus life in the 1930's.
If I am being completely honest, I did find one draw back to the book.  I did get a little bored when the story line flips to present time and the "older" Jacob is no longer narrating the flash back. I am sure the present time story line was relevant to the book, but my focus was on Jacob and Marlena.  I wasn't quite as interested in the "older" Jacob harassing the nurses and his fellow peers. I felt that it slowed the story line down. I found my self speed-reading through these parts to get back to the flashbacks with Marlena and Jacob.  That being said, it isn't a big enough negativity that it would hinder me from recommending this book to anyone out there. It truly is a great book and deserves its spot on the best sellers list.
The book is a must read. I fell in love with the world that Sarah Gruen created. The circus has never been more intriguing. I CANNOT WAIT to watch this book come to life.


 Movie Release Date: April 22nd, 2011



Let me know what you think...tag your it.
-Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment