Sunday, August 21, 2011

Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews

Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews

Summary: After years of hard work, Gina Foxton, chef extraordinaire and former runner-up Miss Teen Vidalia Onion, is hosting her own show, Fresh Start, on Georgia public television. She's also dating the producer. But when Fresh Start goes bad—and her boyfriend is caught in flagrante delicto with the boss's wife—Gina decides it's time to pursue bigger dreams. Namely a gig on national television.

Gina knows she's destined to be the Cooking Channel's next superstar. But the execs also have their eyes on Tate Moody, Mr. "Kill It and Grill It" himself, host of the hunting, fishing, and cooking show Vittles. The ultimate man's man, Tate is a tasty side of beef with a large, swooning female fan base. Gina's loyal devotees consist of her free-spirited college-dropout sister and her mother . . . who calls every single day.

When the smoke clears there can be only one TV chef standing, and Gina and Tate are ready for the cook-off of their lives. -- Harper

I was extremely reluctant to pick up this book out of fear it was just another chick-lit book with little to no plot. Matter of fact, it took me about a month to get to chapter 5; not because it wasn't good but because it was so different from what I have read in the last few years. The more I learned about the main character, the more curious I was to what the author had in store for me. And lets just say once I met Tate Moody - I was hooked.

Tate Moody: To-the-T!
My interpretation of Gina Foxton
To be honest, I was a little annoyed with Gina's "good-girl" perfectionist personality through the beginning of the book. I wanted to like her, she seemed nice-enough. But her character constantly was acting snotty about things and I wanted to slap her a few times and just say "get-a-grip honey! Who do you think you are?" Enter Tate Moody. His fly-by-the-seat of is 'britches' (as my grandmother used to say) and call'em out comments were just what was needed.  The constant bickering added such lightness and a fun dynamic to the story that I would find myself giggling aloud...a lot.
I am not going go so far as to say that this would be an MUST READ story of epic proportions, however it was certainly a GREAT summer read and one that I am very glad I was loaned. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's writing style and many of the character depictions (however, felt that she spoke a little too much about socks or lack thereof - of all things.) If you're in the mood for a feel-good chick-lit book, this is Perfection... I will be reading more from Mary Kay Andrews, I hope you give it a try too. Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment