Monday, August 15, 2011

One Day by David Nicholls

One Day by David Nicholls



It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

Where to begin...

This is an AMAZINGLY-real friends-to-lovers story that captured my attention and brought with it deep emotion on many levels. I was quite excited to read this story after seeing the movie trailer (as mentioned in previous posts it helps me to visualize the characters - and doesn't ruin the book for me).
With any new author, there were about 80 pages worth of 'getting-used-to-it' time. The English verbiage was the biggest obstacle; however, once I adjusted things fell into step.

Emma Morley is a optimistic-pessimist. She knows she wants to change the world...or rather "Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you." But, is quite down on herself and how things in her life tend to not work out.  I felt that she was a very REAL character that is thoroughly good-natured, but not flawless that I found myself fighting for throughout the book.

Dexter Meyhew on the other hand is what I like to call "a fixer-upper" he's your bad-boy that you WANT so bad to do good.  I have to admit (without spoilers - I'll post those farther down) I was extremely concerned I would not find any admirable qualities in Dexter. We know the hansome, arrogant, selfish attitude can only work if there are some redeeming qualities... but without even realizing it I found (by the end) I was fighting just as hard for Dex and desperately wanted him to find happiness too.

The story not only takes you through the encounters of Emma and Dexter (Em & Dex) but allows you to see THEIR lives thoroughly when they are not together.  Which allows you to know these characters in a more complete way. Emma finds herself in relationships that as a reader you want to work -- because she deserves love. Dexter finds himself in orgies and extreme binges - and you really just want him to run home to a cold shower and realize his mess. It was amazing to me how the arrangement of this book worked. I had such intense emotions when reading about their lives and experienced the ups and downs wholeheartedly. Anyone who enjoys a fight-for-love story I feel will become engrossed in this book as I was.

To say I am excited to see this story come to life, is an understatement. I am not like most readers - I know very well that it is VERY difficult and almost impossible for feelings to be transmitted from the book pages to the big screen with the same intensity.  Therefore, I set my standards low. Simply enjoying specific scenes being played out and character reactions being the same - and many times different that what I had imagined. Furthermore, this movie has the potential to tie in some great take-you-back 90's tunes in the soundtrack (however, many are not) mentioned in the book (ie: the Cranberries, Jamiroquai and many more). I really hope that you love this book as much as I did. Let me know what you think - and even if you don't read the book...go see the movie it looks great!



********************SPOILERS********************



So, for lack of being able to contain myself - I MUST jot down these few things that I had certain issues with that can't be mentioned in the review itself.

Dexter is a selfish drunk prick throughout the book, although I was fighting for Dexter by the end and really really wanted things to work out, I found myself extremely angry at his character and up until the end (when he finally redeems) I ... (don't think horribly of me) didn't want things to work out for him. I mean he's rich. He's handsome. He's arrogant. All things that I thing I would have accepted had there not been....
He's a drunk/sometimes drug addict. He takes his family for granted. He takes his best friend for granted.... He's an extreme womanizer (um - he's counting off the women he has slept with while at a wedding - while his fiancee' is pregnant next to him *jerk). He's selfish to the N'th degree!  I suppose this was all part of David Nicholls master plan...hate Dexter for awhile...then feel extreme sadness for him when his life falls apart. It worked.

There were also a few things that I really really wished had of been included but were not. 
The sex between Em & Dex - okay. It's aaaaaaalllll building up to that right? The brushes of the hips, the holding of the hands, the kissing, skinny dipping, the watching each other SHOWER! Then when they finally do, we are left thinking...Good? Bad? Amazing? As they thought it would be? Who freakin knows? I don't.

The baby talk. We all know it happened. Was Dexter a jerk during this? Perhaps this is why it is not included? I really wanted him to realize he's a good guy with her want a child with her as much as she wanted one too. Maybe this is only mentioned in passing and vague because it never comes to head? I think this too could have been a redeeming heart-warming scene that we never got to imagine.

Well, these are all just my rambles, and as you probably can tell - if you have read the book, and aren't peeking at the spoilers - I haven't mentioned the most shocking thing of the entire book! And don't plan on it. I hope you read :)  Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment