Saturday, August 6, 2011

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Good Reads Description:

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.

A Favorite Quote (Of Many):
"You are the one girl that made me risk everything for a future worth having."

Thoughts...

Wow, just wow! I absolutely love it when I am surprised by how good a book actually is.  It really makes my day.  I didn't have super high expectations for this book even though I read a lot of reviews that said it was wonderful.  I figured that it would be a good, but ordinary teen romance novel. If you have read any of my previous reviews then you know that I tend to stick toward the supernatural side of things so this was stretching for me. Hah. I was totally immersed in this book. Sure, on the outside it might seem like any other teen book but it is so MUCH more. That leads to my next topic...

My absolute favorite thing about this book is the fact that the author does not shy away from sensitive subjects. She plows straight through the good, bad, and ugly. I do not claim to have any knowledge of gang life, cerebral palsy, or many of the topics that are discussed in this book, but I can appreciate that the author seems to provide a very realistic experience throughout the book and at times that can be disturbing.  Gang life in general seems pretty hard core and dangerous. We get to experience that first hand from Alex's point of view. And you get a first hand lesson that everything is not always as it appears. Especially for Brittany...her mother is the picture perfect mother to the outside. But within their four walls, she is a mess. Brittany tries to put on the front that she a perfect princess to hide the fact that her life is unraveling at home.

Ekleles didn't give the characters, Alex and Brittany, the easy way out either. They are faced with so many difficulties throughout the series and they have to work for their relationship. I like that in a book. Everyone loves a happily ever after, but I like mine realistic.  I don't want it to just magically fall into place because life isn't normally like that.

So....go and buy this book. It is a great story.  Definitely worth the time and money!!!

**While this is a teen book, I do want to point out that this is for a more mature teen (and of course older since I am 20 something). I don't want to pin point an age, but it does discuss mature things such as sex and violence; also includes foul language.  I don't want anyone to think this takes away from the book because it is all absolutely necessary to provide a realistic story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment