Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Legacy by Cayla Kluver


Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publish Date: June 21st, 2011

Favorite Quote:
"An I can no more stop worrying about you than I can stop myself from breathing."
-Cayla Kluver (Legacy)

Good Reads Description:
I noticed his eyes. They were blue, sharp and intense. Despite the youthful glows of his suntanned face, his eyes were cold and unfriendly, suggesting he had great experience in the world and was now expecting the worst.

In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.
When the palace guard captures and intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.
In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

Thoughts:
I received this book through Net Galley via Harlequin Teen. I had no prior knowledge of the author or the story so I was definitely suprised...
I feel like no matter what, a book should be reviewed based on its content. Did you enjoy the author’s writing style? Did the plot keep you guessing? Did you connect with the characters? Those are the questions that most people consider when writing a review on a book. However, I feel like this must be said.  The author was only 14 years old when she wrote this book! Yes, you read that right me.  I still think that a book must stand on its own without the knowledge that the author was a very young adult. But, gosh, 14? That’s nuts. I kept thinking to myself the entire time reading that it amazes me that someone so young could write such a great story.
Legacy is for anyone how enjoys young adult historical fiction. The story includes very descriptive details. Kluver creates a brand new world with Hytanica. She describes the scenery in lush detail. The author’s aim is young adult so there is a longer than necessary (to me) focus on clothing and hair styles. Alera’s thoughts get caught up in other’s beautiful dresses and fancy up-dos just as many 17 year olds would. Kluver creates a story full of love, politics, and war all in the fictional kingdom of Hytanica.  If you are a fan of young adult books, princesses, and historical fiction, this might be the book for you.  This book is no small feat at 496 pages.  :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment