Monday, September 26, 2011

Purpose by Kristie Cook




Thoughts…

I don’t know about anyone else, but the beginning of this book was hard to handle.  I won’t go into detail in case you haven’t read the first book, Promise, in this series, but Alexis is very depressed. The depression is what makes about a large portion at the beginning of the book. The author takes us where Stephenie Meyer did not take us in New Moon. In New Moon, most of the depression is skipped over and shown with simple pages marked with a month.  In Purpose, the author explains the emotions that Alexis is dealing with down to the “alternate” personalities that she has (evil, swirly, foggy, and almost Alexis).  It was tough reading about. While I appreciate the vivid descriptions, I wanted Alexis to get over herself and just do something. Good or bad, just act!

I’m not sure why, but I didn’t love this book as much as the first one.  Maybe it is because I felt like the plot didn’t develop fast enough. I normally never ever say this, but I found a lot of similarities between this book and Twilight.  Seriously, I try to never compare things to Twilight because it is too cliché.  Young adult paranormal books are always going to have similarities to Twilight.  But, this one had A LOT.  I don’t feel like I can go into too much detail without giving away any spoilers.

Here is how I break it down, the first book, Promise, was wonderful. I considered it a must read. Before beginning the next book, Purpose, I felt that it was a must read since you were left with such a cliff hanger from the first book. However, after reading the second book, I am not loving this series as much. The third book in the series comes out next year and I am sure that I will read it just to find out where everything is going with Tristen and Alexis.

No comments:

Post a Comment