Saturday, September 10, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini


Good Reads Description:



               
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Thoughts...

Once and while, you stumble upon a great book that sticks with you even after you turned the last page. Starcrossed is one of those books. I sat for while after finishing and just pondered some of the characters motives and wondered what would happen next in the sequel. This is definitely a must read.  Starcrossed was incredible!  This part of the review will be short and sweet, but beware below, there will be spoilers because I need to vent!  I always loved mythology in high school and this book makes me wish that I had paid more attention.  The book is full of mythology lessons that are very interesting as they become intertwined into every day life.  There are so many twists, turns, and gasps in this book that some parts just left me reeling.  Nothing turned out as I expected...NOTHING.  It was so so good!

SPOILERS BELOW.....



OK, So I hope you have read this if you are reading here...one more chance to scroll back up because I DO NOT want to spoil any gasp worthy moments!


So, I am not going in order to here, but just what comes to mind.  The thing that I can't get over right now is the whole "Hi Lucas, by the way Lucas, were first cousins and now I need to throw up." Um what? I never saw that shit coming.  NEVER, I say. How many times did they mention that Ajax was killed 19 (yes, 19) years ago?  More than a few if I remembered it as soon as I read the bit about being cousins.  Now, people, mere mortals as ourselves can do the math to figure this one out, so surely Demigods wouldn't have to much trouble thinking about the fact that it just don't add up!  Again, Ajax died 19 years ago, Helen had literally just turned 17 days before the news broke out, and finally her mother would have only been pregnant for 9 months.  Hmmmm.....We have a little over a year gap here people! Why would no one have thought this through?!

Which leads me to my next though, I DO NOT trust Helen's mother. She is definitely up to something. She definitely has alterior motives when it comes to the Delos family and her own daughter.  She has plans for her daughter Helen that do not include Lucas. I haven't figured out why yet. I do think that she wanted Pandora to be killed for at least two reasons, she would reveal her secret that Helen and Lucas were not actually cousins and also to create chaos in the Delos home.  It wasn't just about stalling for time. With everyone mourning the death of Pandora and the fact that Hector was deemed an outcast, she will be able to get away with much much more than she would have. The spot light is lifted from her. I feel like she might also try to manipulate Hector into doing her bidding since she has befriended him at such a low time in his life.


I need these answers. I need the next book. PLEASE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment